Cooler weather, pumpkin patches, apple cider, trick-or-treating… While Fall can be an exciting time for many people across the country, it can actually be a dangerous time for your pets if we’re not careful! With many changes due to the Fall season, we think it’s very important for pet owners to be aware of some Fall specific precautions in the environment or even in your home!
Insecticides and Poisons:
With cooler weather comes insects, rodents and other creepy crawly things. These buggers are looking for warm spaces to live during these weather changes… and unfortunately, your home is perfect. The use of insecticides and poison rise during this season, so it’s very important to remember that these things can be fatal to your pets if ingested. Always be sure your pet cannot reach these items – or, find a natural & pet safe alternative!
Around this time, wildlife creatures are preparing for hibernation. Reptiles like snakes can become easily agitatable since they are busy preparing for the winter and may bite if provoked. Bears are another wildlife animal that is out and about gathering food for their long winter hibernation. Letting your pets roam alone may not be the safest thing during this time.
Bonfires around the home become more popular around this time as well… This can turn into a dangerous situation if your pets are around. An enclosed fire pit with a cover is always a good idea around furry friends!
“Trick-or-Treat!!” This familiar saying most always follows with a sweet surprise. Yes, these treats are yummy for us, and your pets may think so too… but these treats are toxic to your pets. Chocolate as well as a candy sweetener called xylitol can be deadly to your furry friends if ingested. Make sure you keep your sweet treasures up and away from your pets reach!
Do you have fruit growing around your home? Once fall hits, trees and bushes start wilting and dropping their fruits. Picking up these fruits right away can prevent your pet from getting pits lodged in their throat, bowels, or intestines. Cyanide can also be found in these pits which is poisonous. Apricots, cherries, plums and peaches are the most common fruits with cyanide toxicity.